Government has set out the need for greater transparency across its operations to enable the public to hold public bodies and politicians to account. This includes commitments relating to public expenditure, intended to help achieve better value for money.
The DfT Transparency Webpage publishes details for the whole of the Department which includes the DfT Business Plan, Organisation Charts, Headquarter buildings energy consumption, Ministerial gifts and the Departments Information Asset Register.
Highways Agency public expenditure information is included in the following:
- Departmental spending over £500
- Exceptions to the moratorium on discretionary spend
- Contracts Finder — all new Government tender and contract documents
- Department for Transport and NDPB salary disclosure data
- Business expenses and hospitality for senior officials
Highways Agency Operational Data
All datasets published by the Highways Agency are available from data.gov. These include:
- Journey time and traffic flow data for 15-minute periods since October 2009 on the Strategic Road Network in England.
- Journey reliability on the Highways Agency Network contains data on the percentage of ‘journeys’ that are ‘on time’ by road section by rolling year.
- Planned roadworks on the Highways Agency network published as a weekly bulletin with 15 day forward look.
- The mean and median average incident duration times and number of incidents by duration on motorways on the strategic road network published monthly.
- Live traffic information presented as separate “information products” in xml using Datex 2.
Managing and Publishing Highways Agency Performance
The DfT agrees performance measures for the Agency each year which are published in our Business Plan. These measure the Agency’s performance in delivering the key objectives set in the Framework Document. The annual results of our performance are then published after year-end in our Annual Report & Accounts. Our Business Plans and Annual Reports are available under the ‘Corporate Documents’ area of this website.
Highways Agency Directors’ Expenses
As well being committed to providing the best value road service, we are also strive to ensure that we undertake our work in the most effective manner possible. Our Directors’ remuneration is published in our Annual Report & Accounts, and are included in the Senior Civil Servants remuneration data set on the DfT Transparency webpage. Directors also receive recompense for reasonable expenses incurred in undertaking their duties, details of which are published here: Director’s Expenses.
Highways Agency Hospitality Registers
From time to time, Highways Agency Directors receive invites of hospitality from other organisations. Records of hospitality offered, whether they are taken or not, are maintained in Hospitality Registers. Directors Hospitality Registers are published here: Hospitality Registers.
Salary Disclosure Data
Salary disclosure data CSV files include:
SCS staff salaries — name, grade, job title, FTE, parent department, organisation, unit, actual pay floor, actual pay ceiling
Junior staff FTE — parent department, organisation, unit, reporting SCS, grade, number of posts FTE
- Highways Agency SCS staff salaries (CSV — 16KB)
- Highways Agency Junior staff FTE salaries (CSV — 29KB)
- Highways Agency organogram
- Department for Transport: Non Consolidated Performance Related Pay Awarded in Financial Year 2010/11 (Excel — 27KB)
- Department for Transport: Non Consolidated Performance Related Pay Awarded in Financial Year 2010/11 (CSV — 6KB)
The Highways Agency’s website visitor data is audited annually by ABCe, on behalf of the Central Office of Information. The latest audit for the Highways Agency website was conducted in August 2010. See ABCe certificate for HA website, August 2010.