Within the planning system, we have an important role to make sure that developments close to or affecting the Strategic Road Network (SRN) can take place while making sure that it continues to operate safely and efficiently for all road users.
We have developed our protocol approach to provide clear information to local authorities and developers in relation how we will work with them to support development and facilitate growth. Each protocol is intended to stand alone and can be read without any prior knowledge of the other protocols.
By applying the protocol approach across all areas of our involvement in the planning and development process, we aim to play our part by making sure that we are efficient, consistent, and clear about our requirements and what can be expected of us. However, to engage effectively, we also rely on local planning authorities and developers to understand and use the published protocols. We collect information about our performance in relation to the protocols, and we use this and feedback from developers and local authorities to identify ways in which we can improve. You can download our latest set of metrics from this page.
In some cases the relevant protocol may not fully address the particular circumstances of a development, in which case we encourage further discussions with our regional planning teams. All protocols include area-specific contact details which are also shown on the map at the back of the document.
We welcome comments or feedback in relation to any area of our planning and development performance, either to the regional contacts within the document or directly to Dave Parker, Asset Delivery Manager for Yorkshire and North East, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Protocols for planning and development
- Best practice and guidance
- Planning Enquiry Contact Form
- Pre-Application Meeting Checklist and Agenda
- Network Delivery and Development Directorate Planning Regions
The Highways Agency measures its performance on planning matters through a series of metrics. These measure our performance in the planning system -
- Planning performance monthly national report — March 2013 (17KB PDF)
- Planning performance monthly national report — February 2013 (17KB PDF)
- Planning performance monthly national report — January 2013 (17KB PDF)
- Planning performance monthly national report — December 2012 (17KB PDF)
- Planning performance monthly national report — November 2012 (17KB PDF)
- Planning performance monthly national report — October 2012 (17KB PDF)
- Planning performance monthly national report — September 2012 (17KB PDF)
- Planning performance monthly national report — August 2012 (17KB PDF)
Regional traffic model library
These libraries provide a snapshot of transport modelling capability in the regions to aid those who wish to undertake assessment work. They list and gives brief details of traffic models referenced to regional maps. Inclusion in the list does not necessarily mean that a model is suitable for evaluating the impact of development proposals or meeting other assessment requirements. Promoters of development and others should discuss the suitability of any particular model with the owner of the model, the relevant local planning and highway authorities and the Highways Agency.