A45/A46 Tollbar End Improvement
Part of our programme of improvements (value >10m)
Overnight lane closures on the A45/A46 Tollbar End scheme near Coventry
On Tuesday 19 August, the two mile section of the A46 Coventry Eastern Bypass northbound carriageway, between Tollbar End roundabout and the ‘TGI’ roundabout, will close from 8pm until 6am the following morning, Wednesday 20 August.
The closure is to allow work on the carriageway to install a duct crossing for utility pipes.
Work begins to install new waste water main
Week commencing Monday 11 August for four weeks, work is to be carried out to install a new waste water main near the junction of Siskin Drive and Rowley Road.
The work will take place Monday to Saturday, from 7am to 6pm, and occasionally to 9pm.
Two lanes will remain open in Siskin Drive, leading from the Middlemarch Industrial Park, while the work takes place there is expected be no additional impact on motorists.
- A45 Stonebridge Highway, westbound (Tollbar to Stivichall)
Service diversion excavation and carriageway widening
- A45 Stonebridge Highway, eastbound (Tollbar to Stivichall)
Service diversion excavation and installation of drainage
- A46 Coventry Eastern Bypass, eastbound
Service diversion excavation and installation of drainage
- A46 Coventry Eastern Bypass, westbound
Service diversion excavation and carriageway widening
- A45 London Road and B4110 London Road
Service diversion excavations and carriageway widening
- Selsey Close, Stonehouse Lane and Rowley Road
Service diversion excavations
Siskin Drive Update
The water main connection works at Siskin Drive has been completed by Severn Trent.
- The cones will remain to keep traffic to correct alignment until works are complete in this area.
- Cones are also being used to form traffic islands as the kerbed ones have been removed to allow us to move traffic around during the works.
- Two lanes remain open leaving Siskin Drive.
- The traffic lights on Rowley Road are likely to remain until end of August.
There will be intermittent temporary lights later in the year for road repairs
Find out more:
What is happening?
We propose to improve the A45 Stonebridge Highway and the Tollbar End roundabout in southern Coventry. This improvement is part of a package of works which also includes the M40 junction 15 bypass. The main proposals are:
- to reduce the volume of traffic using Tollbar End roundabout by providing a 2 lane dual carriageway underpass link between the A46 Coventry Eastern bypass and the A45 Stonebridge highway
- to enlarge the roundabout and improve all the existing accesses
- to widen the existing A45 Stonebridge highway to a 3 lane dual carriageway between the new Tollbar End junction and Stivichall junction to improve capacity and allow traffic to maneuver safely into the required lane on approach to the junctions
- to improve access to local businesses and Coventry Airport by changing the junction of Siskin Drive and Rowley Road from a roundabout to a traffic light controlled junction
- to erect traffic lights on each entry arm to the new Tollbar End roundabout with signals connected to those at the junction at Siskin Drive and Rowley Road - timings would be controlled so that they provide maximum efficiency in allowing traffic through the area
- to erect new sign gantries and re-paint the lane markings to improve the northbound A46 approach to Stivichall junction - existing road signs in this area of the Scheme would also be improved
- to improve pedestrian access around Tollbar End roundabout and create a new footpath/cycleway along the southern side of the A45, linking the two junctions together
We have considered several options for new bridges at Tollbar End roundabout. In order to improve the combined footway and cycleway on the south side of the A45 Stonebridge Highway, a new footbridge would be constructed across the River Sowe. Other new structures would include:
- new sign gantries on the existing A46, south of Stivichall junction
- soil-nailed retaining walls at Tollbar End roundabout
- retaining walls to minimise land take
When and where is this happening?
Advance works started in August 2013 and main construction works started in January 2014. The scheme is scheduled for completion in financial year 2016/17.
The A45 and A46 Tollbar junction is located to southeast of Coventry. It forms part of the national strategic road network, connecting to the north, via the A46 to M6, M69 and M1 and to the south via the A46 to the M40. It provides links to the east via the A45, M45 and M1 and to the west via the A45 to the M42 and Birmingham. It also provides the main road access to Stonebridge Trading Estate, Middlemarch Business Park and Coventry Airport, which are important sources of employment in southern Coventry
Why is this happening and what will it cost?
Tollbar roundabout is one of the most heavily congested junctions in the region at peak times.
The high level of traffic using this roundabout causes delays and queues. Future increases in traffic volumes will make the existing congestion worse and lead to increased driver stress.
In 2001, Tollbar End roundabout was improved by introducing traffic lights and changing the road markings. This helped to reduce the number of accidents but this temporary solution is reaching the end of its design life and the roundabout is again not coping with traffic levels.
The estimated final outturn of £106 million was approved by the Secretary of State in September 2013 prior to the start of construction in January 2014.
How will the scheme be carried out?
The scheme would take approximately 3 1/2 years to build. The main construction compound would be located on land to the immediate west of the Stonebridge Trading Estate, off the Rowley Road. We would ensure access to businesses and properties is maintained at all times.
Construction of the scheme would take place over a number of carefully planned phases to minimise the effects of construction on the public and the environment.
We would implement a construction environmental management plan to manage the effects of construction, noise, vibration and dust. This plan would also identify the work needed to protect wildlife habitats and prevent pollution to watercourses.
What are the benefits?
We aim to:
- reduce congestion and improve capacity at Tollbar End roundabout and on the A45 Stonebridge Highway
- allow traffic to maneuver safely into the required lane on the A45 Stonebridge Highway
- improve access to local businesses and Coventry Airport
- improve pedestrian access around Tollbar End roundabout
How do I find out more information ?
More information will be posted on this project page as it becomes available. You can subscribe to be alerted when updates are made.
If you have any queries about this project you should contact the Highways Agency Information Line by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or calling 0300 123 5000.
Will there be roadworks?
Significant delays are expected in this area. Please allow additional journey time.
- On the A45 Stonebridge Highway, westbound (Tollbar to Stivichall)
- On the A45 Stonebridge Highway, eastbound (Stivichall to Tollbar)
- On the A45 London Road - Service diversion excavations and carriageway widening.
- On the B4110 London Road - Service diversion excavations, installation of drainage and carriageway widening.
- On Siskin Drive - Service diversion excavations.
- On Stonehouse Lane - Service diversion excavations.
- On Rowley Road - Service diversion excavations.
|Date||Duration||Details||Allow an Extra|
|Friday 15/08/2014||Off-peak days (9:30 to 15:30)||• Lane 1 closure on the A45 Stonebridge Highway, eastbound and westbound • Various lane closures on Rowley Road and Siskin Drive||up to 10 minutes|
|Friday 15/08/2014||Off-peak nights (20:00 to 06:00)||• Various lane closures on Rowley Road and Siskin Drive||up to 10 minutes|
|Saturday 16/08/2014||Off-peak days (08:00 to 16:00)||• No additional planned Traffic Management||up to 10 minutes|
|Saturday 16/08/2014||Off Peak Nights (19:00 to 03:00)||• No additional planned Traffic Management||up to 10 minutes|
|Sunday 17/08/2014||Off-peak days (09:30 to 15:30)||• No additional planned Traffic Management||up to 10 minutes|
|Sunday 17/08/2014||Off Peak Nights (19:00 to 03:00)||• No additional planned Traffic Management||up to 10 minutes|
|Monday 18/08/2014||Off-peak days (09:30 to 15:30)||• Lane 1 closure on the A45 Stonebridge Highway, eastbound and westbound.||up to 10 minutes|
|Monday 18/08/2014||Off-peak nights (20:00 to 06:00)||• Lane 1closure A45 London Road South Bound.||up to 10 minutes|
|Tuesday 19/08/2014||Off-peak days (09:30 to 15:30)||• Lane 1 closure on the A45 Stonebridge Highway, eastbound and westbound • Lane 1 closure on the A45 London Road North Bound.||up to 10 minutes|
|Tuesday 19/08/2014||Off-peak nights (20:00 to 06:00)||• Full shut down of the A46 Coventry Eastern Bypass northbound, diversions will be in place via the B4110 London Road.||up to 10 minutes|
|Wednesday 20/08/2014||Off-peak days (9:30 to 15:30)||• Lane 1 closure on the A45 Stonebridge Highway, eastbound and westbound.• Various lane closures on Rowley Road and Siskin Drive. • Lane 1 closure on the A45 London Road North Bound.||up to 10 minutes|
|Wednesday 20/08/2014||Off-peak nights (20:00 to 06:00)||• Various lane closures on Rowley Road and Siskin Drive.||up to 10 minutes|
|Thursday 21/08/2014||Off-peak days (9:30 to 15:30)||• Lane 1 closure on the A45 Stonebridge Highway, eastbound and westbound. • Various lane closures on Rowley Road and Siskin Drive. • Lane 1 closure on the A45 London Road North Bound.||up to 10 minutes|
|Thursday 21/08/2014||Off-peak nights (20:00 to 06:00)||• Various lane closures on Rowley Road and Siskin Drive.||up to 10 minutes|
|Friday 22/08/2014||Off-peak days (9:30 to 15:30)||• Lane 1 closure on the A45 Stonebridge Highway, eastbound and westbound. • Various lane closures on Rowley Road and Siskin Drive • Lane 1 closure on the A45 London Road North Bound.||up to 10 minutes|
|Friday 22/08/2014||Off-peak nights (20:00 to 06:00)||• Various lane closures on Rowley Road and Siskin Drive.||up to 10 minutes|
How will you manage traffic?
A Traffic Management Plan has been developed in consultation with the local police and County and District Councils. Generally, a minimum of two lane of traffic in each direction will be maintained during peak hours. Peak hours run from 06:00 to 09:30 and 15:30 to 20:00 on weekdays with variation at weekends. However a number of full closures of the A45 Stonebridge Highway and A46 Coventry Eastern Bypass will be required during the construction period to carry out works that affect the whole carriageway.
Generally over the period of the works, temporary speed limits will be in place monitored by average-speed cameras. There is now a 40mph limit on the A45 Stonebridge Highway, A46 Coventry Eastern Bypass, A45 London Road and Tollbar Roundabout.
24 hour traffic management
June 2014 to October 2014
- Narrow lanes will be in place on A45 Stonebridge Highway, westbound (Tollbar to Stivichall)
- Traffic management will be in place on Tollbar roundabout
- Stonehouse Lane access to A45 Stonebridge Highway will be closed
- Lane 3 closure will be in place on A45 London Road, southbound
June 2014 to September 2014
- Rowley Road will have various lane closures
- Rowley Road will have single lane traffic controlled by temporary traffic signals
- Siskin Drive will have various lane closures
- London Road B4110 will have various lane closures
Will there be diversions?
Drivers are advised to follow any diversions and not to use their Satellite Navigation Systems
Yes, there are road closures and diversions planned for 19 August 2014. At Tollbar End roundabout traffic will be diverted onto the B4110 London Road, then at Asda roundabout onto the A4082 towards Binley. At the junction with the A428, traffic will be diverted right onto the A428 until the roundabout at the A46 Coventry Eastern Bypass, where the diversion ends. The diversion route will be clearly signed.
The landscape surrounding the scheme includes areas of agriculturally improved grassland and arable land, with occasional small woodlands and areas of scrub. Biodiversity interest is mainly restricted to hedgerows, mature trees, woodlands and the corridors of the Rivers Sowe and Sherbourne.
There are no environmental statutory sites affected by the scheme, however there are local nature reserves bordering the highway. Preliminary ecological surveys and consultations show some habitats of interest and species near to the proposed road corridor.
Species of interest include:
- Great crested newt
We would plan and manage the works to reduce or eliminate any adverse impacts on these habitats and species.
|The scheme was first proposed in the Government published 'A New Deal For Trunk Roads in England'.||1998|
|Following a public consultation and approval by Warwick local regional planning body it was entered into the Targeted Programme of Improvements.||April 2003|
|The TR111 was issued to local councils.||June 2003|
|We awarded an Early Contractor involvement contract to progress this scheme. For procurement purposes this scheme has been joined with the M40 Junction 15 Improvement scheme.||Spring 2005|
|We developed the scheme further.||2006|
|A public exhibition was held in March 2007. Further information on the Exhibition can be found on the publications page.||March 2007|
|Draft Orders and an Environmental Statement for the scheme were published on 26 March 2009. A public exhibition of the proposals was held in Coventry on 24 and 25 April 2009.||Spring 2009|
|A Public Inquiry was held from 26 January 2010 to 3 February 2010.||2010|
|'Minded to' decision by the Secretaries of State||9 April 2013|
|Consultation on Scheme modifications||4 weeks from 6 May 2013|
|The decision into the 2010 Public Inquiry was published 18 July confirming that the scheme would proceed with some minor modifications works||July 2013|
|Made Orders published on 9 August||August 2013|
|Start of Advance Works||August 2013|
|Public Exhibition||29 and 30 November 2013|
|Start of main construction||January 2014|
|Full scheme completion||Financial year 2016-2017|
Business Case - Information correct as at December 2010
Information leaflet for the A45/A46 Tollbar End Improvement scheme.
Public Exhibition Leaflet
Invitation to draft Orders Exhibition
Side Roads Order
Compulsory Purchase Order
S19 Certificate Public Notice
Public Notice for Line and Side Road Order
CPO Public Notice current ownership
S19 Notice of Intention
Notice of PI
Notice of Intention to hold PI & PIM
Notice of PIM
Outline Statement of Case
issue 2 - July 2014
Issue 1 – March 2014
Details of the A45/A46 Tollbar End Improvement consultation - May 2013
The public inquiry 'minded to' decision letter and inspector's report for the A45/A46 Tollbar End Improvement - April 2013
Scheme plan for the A45/A46 Tollbar End Improvement scheme.
Public Consultation Report
Final Study Report
Appraisal Summary Table - August 2013