A45/A46 Tollbar End Improvement
Part of our programme of improvements (value >10m)
A new water main connection at Siskin Drive
As part of the works to improve the A45/A46 Tollbar End roundabout, A45 Stonebridge Highway and Stivichall Junction, a new water main is to be connected at Siskin Drive.
The work which started on Wednesday 2 April, is expected to take place over the course of eight weeks.
To minimise disruption to motorists and businesses, as well as maintain traffic flow the Highways Agency is putting several measures in place:
- Part of the central reservation on Siskin Drive will be removed to maintain two lanes of traffic on Siskin Drive, leading from the Middlemarch business park, to Tollbar End roundabout;
- The mini roundabout at the end of Siskin Drive, approaching Tollbar roundabout, will be removed and road markings installed for a temporary mini roundabout nearby to help maintain traffic discipline;
- An additional inner lane will be created on the east bound section of Rowley Road to enable traffic from Rowley Road to gain access to Tollbar roundabout.
Part of Siskin Drive will be coned off and a large excavation made for the new water main connection and associated work.
Start of main works
Main works started at Tollbar on 6 January 2014. Over this month extensive traffic management measures will be put in place, with 40mph speed limit throughout the works. The Coventry Island Hotel will be demolished to accommodate the new road layout.
Find out more:
- download a map of the proposed scheme
- download the A45/A46 Tollbar End Scheme leaflet
- view our forthcoming schedule of roadworks and traffic management
- check Traffic England for current travel conditions
Advance works started in August 2013. These works included:
- Tree clearance and earthworks local to Tollbar roundabout
- Services diversions along the north side of Stonebridge Highway and in the vicinity of Tollbar roundabout.
- Drain dilapidation surveys
- Continuation of site clearance, i.e tree and shrub clearance. The most noticeable following the initial advance works are on the south side of the A45 Stonebridge Highway
- Site compound due for completion mid January 2014
There will be associated traffic management in place whilst these works are being undertaken. Intermittent closures of footpaths may be necessary however, alternative routes will be provided.
What is happening?
We propose to improve the A45 Stonebridge Highway and the Tollbar End roundabout in southern Coventry. This improvement is part of a package of works which also includes the M40 junction 15 bypass. The main proposals are:
- to reduce the volume of traffic using Tollbar End roundabout by providing a 2 lane dual carriageway underpass link between the A46 Coventry Eastern bypass and the A45 Stonebridge highway
- to enlarge the roundabout and improve all the existing accesses
- to widen the existing A45 Stonebridge highway to a 3 lane dual carriageway between the new Tollbar End junction and Stivichall junction to improve capacity and allow traffic to maneuver safely into the required lane on approach to the junctions
- to improve access to local businesses and Coventry Airport by changing the junction of Siskin Drive and Rowley Road from a roundabout to a traffic light controlled junction
- to erect traffic lights on each entry arm to the new Tollbar End roundabout with signals connected to those at the junction at Siskin Drive and Rowley Road - timings would be controlled so that they provide maximum efficiency in allowing traffic through the area
- to erect new sign gantries and re-paint the lane markings to improve the northbound A46 approach to Stivichall junction - existing road signs in this area of the Scheme would also be improved
- to improve pedestrian access around Tollbar End roundabout and create a new footpath/cycleway along the southern side of the A45, linking the two junctions together
We have considered several options for new bridges at Tollbar End roundabout. In order to improve the combined footway and cycleway on the south side of the A45 Stonebridge Highway, a new footbridge would be constructed across the River Sowe. Other new structures would include:
- new sign gantries on the existing A46, south of Stivichall junction
- soil-nailed retaining walls at Tollbar End roundabout
- retaining walls to minimise land take
When and where is this happening?
As planned, advance works started in August 2013 and main construction works started in January 2014. The scheme is scheduled for completion in financial year 2016/17.
The A45 and A46 Tollbar junction is located to southeast of Coventry. It forms part of the national strategic road network, connecting to the north, via the A46 to M6, M69 and M1 and to the south via the A46 to the M40. It provides links to the east via the A45, M45 and M1 and to the west via the A45 to the M42 and Birmingham. It also provides the main road access to Stonebridge Trading Estate, Middlemarch Business Park and Coventry Airport, which are important sources of employment in southern Coventry
Why is this happening and what will it cost?
Tollbar roundabout is one of the most heavily congested junctions in the region at peak times.
The high level of traffic using this roundabout causes delays and queues. Future increases in traffic volumes will make the existing congestion worse and lead to increased driver stress.
In 2001, Tollbar End roundabout was improved by introducing traffic lights and changing the road markings. This helped to reduce the number of accidents but this temporary solution is reaching the end of its design life and the roundabout is again not coping with traffic levels.
The estimated final outturn of £106 million was approved by the Secretary of State in September 2013 prior to the start of construction in January 2014.
How will the scheme be carried out?
The scheme would take approximately 3 1/2 years to build. The main construction compound would be located on land to the immediate west of the Stonebridge Trading Estate, off the Rowley Road. We would ensure access to businesses and properties is maintained at all times.
Construction of the scheme would take place over a number of carefully planned phases to minimise the effects of construction on the public and the environment.
We would implement a construction environmental management plan to manage the effects of construction, noise, vibration and dust. This plan would also identify the work needed to protect wildlife habitats and prevent pollution to watercourses.
What are the benefits?
We aim to:
- reduce congestion and improve capacity at Tollbar End roundabout and on the A45 Stonebridge Highway
- allow traffic to maneuver safely into the required lane on the A45 Stonebridge Highway
- improve access to local businesses and Coventry Airport
- improve pedestrian access around Tollbar End roundabout
How do I find out more information ?
More information will be posted on this project page as it becomes available. You can subscribe to be alerted when updates are made.
If you have any queries about this project you should contact the Highways Agency Information Line by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or calling 0300 123 5000.
Will there be roadworks?
Significant delays are expected in this area. Please allow additional journey time.
- On the A45 Stonebridge Highway, westbound (Tollbar to Stivichall) - Service diversion excavation and carriageway widening
- On the A45 Stonebridge Highway, eastbound (Tollbar to Stivichall) - Service diversion excavation
- On the A46 Coventry Eastern Bypass, eastbound - Service diversion excavation and installation of drainage
- On the A46 Coventry Eastern Bypass, westbound - Service diversion excavation and carriageway widening
- On the A45 London Road - Service diversion excavations
- On the B4110 London Road - Service diversion excavations
- On Selsey Close - Service diversion excavations
- On Stonehouse Lane - Service diversion excavations
- On Rowley Road - Service diversion excavations
|Date||Duration||Details||Allow an Extra|
|March 2014 to October 2014||24 Hrs||narrow lanes on A45 Stonebridge Highway, westbound (Tollbar to Stivichall)||Possible Delays|
|March 2014 to May 2014||24 Hrs||narrow lanes on A46 Coventry Eastern Bypass, eastbound (From Tollbar roundabout for 400 meters)||Possible Delays|
|March 2014 to May 2014||24 Hrs||Traffic Management on Tollbar roundabout||Possible Delays|
|March 2014 to June 2014||24 Hrs||Rowley Road - Single lane traffic controlled by temporary traffic signals||Significant Delays|
|March to September 2014||24 Hrs||Stonehouse Lane - Access to A45 Stonebridge Highway Closed||Possible Delays|
|April 2014||24 Hrs||• London Road B4110 - Varies lane closures||Possible Delays|
|Thursday 17/04/2014||Off-peak nights (08:00pm to 06:00am)||No Traffic Management|
|18 April 2014 - 20 April 2014||No Traffic Management|
|Monday 21/04/2014||No Traffic Management|
|Tuesday 22/04/2014||Off-peak days (9:30 am to 15:30pm)||• Lane 1 closures on the A45 Stonebridge Highway, eastbound and westbound.• Lane 1 closures on the A45 London Road, northbound and southbound. • Lane closures on Siskin Drive||Possible Delays|
|Tuesday 22/04/2014||Off-peak nights (08:00pm to 06:00am)||• Lane 1 closures on the A45 Stonebridge Highway, eastbound and westbound. • Lane closures on Siskin Drive||Possible Delays|
|Wednesday 23/04/2014||Off-peak days (9:30 am to 15:30pm)||• Lane 1 closures on the A45 Stonebridge Highway, eastbound and westbound.• Lane 1 closures on the A45 London Road, northbound and southbound.• Lane closures on Siskin Drive.||Possible Delays|
|Wednesday 23/04/2014||Off-peak nights (08:00pm to 06:00am)||• Lane 1 closures on the A45 Stonebridge Highway, eastbound and westbound. • Lane 1 closures on the A46 Coventry Eastern Bypass, westbound. • Lane 1 closures on the A45 London Road, northbound and southbound. • Lane closures on Siskin Drive.||Possible Delays|
|Thursday 24/04/2014 and Friday 25/04/2014||Off-peak days (9:30 am to 15:30pm)||• Lane 1 closures on the A45 Stonebridge Highway, eastbound and westbound. • Lane 1 closures on the A46 Coventry Eastern Bypass, westbound. • Lane 1 closures on the A45 London Road, northbound and southbound. • Lane closures on Siskin Drive.||Possible Delays|
|Thursday 24/04/2014 and Friday 25/04/2014||Off-peak nights (08:00pm to 06:00am)||• Lane 1 closures on the A45 Stonebridge Highway, eastbound and westbound. • Lane 1 closures on the A46 Coventry Eastern Bypass, westbound. • Lane 1 closures on the A45 London Road, northbound and southbound. • Lane closures on Siskin Drive||Possible Delays|
|Saturday 26/04/2014||No Traffic Management|
|Sunday 27/04/2014||No Traffic Management|
How will you manage traffic?
A Traffic Management Plan has been developed in consultation with the local police and County and District Councils. Generally, a minimum of two lane of traffic in each direction will be maintained during peak hours. Peak hours run from 06:00 to 09:30 and 15:30 to 20:00 on weekdays with variation at weekends. However a number of full closures of the A45 Stonebridge Highway and A46 Coventry Eastern Bypass will be required during the construction period to carry out works that affect the whole carriageway.
Generally over the period of the works, temporary speed limits will be in place monitored by average-speed cameras. There is now a 40mph limit on the A45 Stonebridge Highway, A46 Coventry Eastern Bypass, A45 London Road and Tollbar Roundabout
Will there be diversions?
Drivers are advised to follow any diversions and not to use their Satellite Navigation Systems.
No, there are no road closures or diversions planned for week commencing 21st April 2014
The landscape surrounding the scheme includes areas of agriculturally improved grassland and arable land, with occasional small woodlands and areas of scrub. Biodiversity interest is mainly restricted to hedgerows, mature trees, woodlands and the corridors of the Rivers Sowe and Sherbourne.
There are no environmental statutory sites affected by the scheme, however there are local nature reserves bordering the highway. Preliminary ecological surveys and consultations show some habitats of interest and species near to the proposed road corridor.
Species of interest include:
- Great crested newt
We would plan and manage the works to reduce or eliminate any adverse impacts on these habitats and species.
|The scheme was first proposed in the Government published 'A New Deal For Trunk Roads in England'.||1998|
|Following a public consultation and approval by Warwick local regional planning body it was entered into the Targeted Programme of Improvements.||April 2003|
|The TR111 was issued to local councils.||June 2003|
|We awarded an Early Contractor involvement contract to progress this scheme. For procurement purposes this scheme has been joined with the M40 Junction 15 Improvement scheme.||Spring 2005|
|We developed the scheme further.||2006|
|A public exhibition was held in March 2007. Further information on the Exhibition can be found on the publications page.||March 2007|
|Draft Orders and an Environmental Statement for the scheme were published on 26 March 2009. A public exhibition of the proposals was held in Coventry on 24 and 25 April 2009.||Spring 2009|
|A Public Inquiry was held from 26 January 2010 to 3 February 2010.||2010|
|'Minded to' decision by the Secretaries of State||9 April 2013|
|Consultation on Scheme modifications||4 weeks from 6 May 2013|
|The decision into the 2010 Public Inquiry was published 18 July confirming that the scheme would proceed with some minor modifications works||July 2013|
|Made Orders published on 9 August||August 2013|
|Start of Advance Works||August 2013|
|Public Exhibition||29 and 30 November 2013|
|Full scheme completion||Financial year 2016-2017|
Business Case - Information correct as at December 2010
Information leaflet for the A45/A46 Tollbar End Improvement scheme.
Public Exhibition Leaflet
Invitation to draft Orders Exhibition
Side Roads Order
Compulsory Purchase Order
S19 Certificate Public Notice
Public Notice for Line and Side Road Order
CPO Public Notice current ownership
S19 Notice of Intention
Notice of PI
Notice of Intention to hold PI & PIM
Notice of PIM
Outline Statement of Case
Issue 1 – March 2014
Details of the A45/A46 Tollbar End Improvement consultation - May 2013
The public inquiry 'minded to' decision letter and inspector's report for the A45/A46 Tollbar End Improvement - April 2013
Scheme plan for the A45/A46 Tollbar End Improvement scheme.
Public Consultation Report
Final Study Report
Appraisal Summary Table - August 2013