M1 Junction 21 Capacity Improvement
Part of our programme of improvements (generally with value <£10m)
Where was the project located?
This scheme was located on the M1/M69 junction near Leicester. Work started in summer 2013 and was completed in December 2013.
Why was the scheme needed?
This scheme was needed because the junction suffered from congestion during peak time travel hours. This was caused by large volumes of traffic leaving the M1 going southbound to Leicester, or going westbound onto the M69.
What work was carried out?
Work was carried out by:
- upgrading of existing traffic signals
- minor alterations were made to drainage and lighting
- widening the M1 Junction 21 southbound exit slip road
- widening the eastern side of the roundabout
- widening the exit lane from the M69 to the roundabout
How did this benefit road users?
As part of the pinch point programme, the scheme aimed to:
- help reduce daily congestion
- reduce journey times for the travelling public
- improve safety
How do I find out more information ?
If you have any queries about this project you should contact the Highways Agency Information Line by emailing email@example.com or calling 0300 123 5000.