M20 Junction 10A
Part of our programme of improvements (value >10m)
What is the proposal?
We are proposing to provide a new M20 Junction 10A and link road to the A2070 at Ashford in Kent with a new dual carriageway link road to the existing A2070 Southern Orbital Road (Bad Munstereifel Road) and also connect to the A20 Hythe Road.The Secretary of State for Transport announced the Preferred Route in March 2010 after considering the views of those who responded to the consultation and our recommendations. This comprises the following:
- Constructing a new M20 junction 10A, 700 metres south east of junction 10. The new junction will include a roundabout over the motorway, new slip roads and a new link road to the A2070 Bad Munstereifel Road. Junction 10A will be partially signalised with two 3 lane bridges.
- Incorporating the A20 Hythe Road in the new junction so that the traffic in both directions would travel via the new roundabout.
- A new pedestrian/cycle bridge over the M20 from Kingsford Street to the A20.
- Demolishing the existing Highfield Lane Bridge and Church Road footbridge.
- A new non-motorised user crossing at Church RoadRemoving the east facing slip roads at the existing junction 10
The preferred route is protected from development. You can view the Preferred Route Announcement Leaflet under Publications.
What is the story so far?
The scheme will support the development of Ashford. The existing M20 Junction 10 will suffer from congestion and long delays in the future if additional capacity is not provided. The M20 is an international route and is used by large volumes of heavy goods and holiday traffic. Long distance traffic from the M20, A20 and A2070 (south of Ashford) conflicts with local traffic from Hythe Road and Kennington Road.The M20 Junction 10A scheme has been identified as a key transport requirement and is essential to the future development of South Ashford. The recent improvements at Junction 10, to increase the capacity and improve safety, will allow some development to go ahead but will not be sufficient for all of the proposed developments.
What is the current situation?
The Spending Review announcement in October 2010 listed the M20 Junction 10A scheme for potential construction post 2015, subject to the outcome of statutory processes. For more information visit our Future Spending Review page. The estimated cost of this scheme is still to be confirmed.
How do I find out more information?
If you have any queries about this project you should contact the Highways Agency Information Line by emailing email@example.com or calling 0300 123 5000.
Public Consultation Leaflet
Preferred Route Annoucement leaflet
Appraisal Summary Table