M3 Junction 6 Black Dam Roundabout Improvements
Part of our programme of improvements (generally with value <£10m)
Where was the project located?
The Black Dam Roundabout is located at the northern end of the M3 Junction 6 Spur in Basingstoke, Hampshire.
Why was the scheme needed?
The Black Dam roundabout was operating above capacity, resulting in long queues during weekday peak periods along all approach roads and even onto the M3 Junction 6 exit slip roads.
As part of the Government's Pinch Point Programme it was decided to increase the capacity of the junction to improve safety and traffic flows at this location.
What work was carried out?
- construction of a four lane northbound carriageway through the roundabout •widening on the eastern side of the gyratory to provide four lanes •widening on the north-eastern section of the gyratory to provide five lanes
- M3 spur road: widening to provide three lanes southbound from Black Dam roundabout to the M3 junction 6 roundabout
- A339 southbound: widening to provide four lanes approaching the roundabout
- A339 northbound: widening into the central reserve to provide four lanes to the A3010 Churchill Way diverge
- A30 ringway south: widening to provide three lanes on approach to/from the roundabout •provision of two lanes onto the A339 northbound carriageway
- A30 London Road: widening to provide two lanes to the roundabout and two lanes to the four-lane northbound carriageway through the roundabout •widening to provide two lanes off the exit from the roundabout •installation of a refuge island for cyclists and pedestrians on the A30 opposite Redbridge Lane
Associated works will include:
- realigning all approaches to the roundabout
- installing new traffic signals
- installing new streetlighting
- installing new traffic signs to advise motorists of the revised layout
- renewal of road markings
How did this benefit road users?
Following completion of the scheme, traffic flows and journey times around the junction have improved.
How do I find out more information ?
If you have any queries about this project you should contact the Highways Agency Information Line by emailing email@example.com or calling 0300 123 5000.
For other works planned for Basingstoke please visit: http://www.basingstoke.gov.uk/browse/transport-and-streets/highway-works.htm
Please note that due to an ongoing technical error, the Highways Agency Information Line is still displaying the old email address and we are hoping to resolve this problem as soon as possible. In the meantime the old email firstname.lastname@example.org is still working and you can also use our new email address email@example.com.
How will you manage traffic?
How to navigate the roundabout - flyer
M3 Junction 6 Black Dam Junction Improvement Frequently Asked Questions
The Black Dam Roundabout is a vital junction to and from Basingstoke.
Black Dam improvements M3 Junction 6 - Exhibition Panels
Proposed Scheme Layout
Summary note describing environmental assessments required for this scheme.
Summary of results from surface water drainage investigation carried out as part of scheme design.
Summary of results following investigation of environmental aspects affected by this scheme including air quality, visual impact and wildlife.