M4 Junctions 10 to 11 Safety Barrier Maintenance Scheme
Part of our programme of improvements (generally with value <£10m)
Where was the project located?
The scheme took place on the M4 between junctions 10 (Wokingham) and 11 (Reading). The central reserve safety barrier posts were replaced between the River Loddon Bridge and Junction 10 at Sindlesham, and the old steel safety barrier was replaced with a concrete barrier to the east of Junction 11, near the A327 Shinfield Road.
Why was the scheme needed?
The safety barrier posts in the central reserve between junctions 10 and 11 were rapidly deteriorating and needed to be replaced. This was primarily due to water and gritting salts collecting in the sockets, which resulted in corrosion.
What work was carried out?
- Central Reserve Safety Barrier Post Replacement – work involved the removal of the rusted posts around the existing lighting columns and installing new posts to correct spacings, improving the barrier’s effectiveness at the columns.
- Central Reserve Concrete Barrier – the steel central reserve barrier was removed and replaced with a concrete barrier to provide the safe vehicle restraint system in the central reserve. The street lighting was also replaced with new columns mounted on the concrete barrier.
How did this benefit road users?
Central Reserve Safety Barrier Replacement – The new posts will prolong the life of the barrier, and improve the effectiveness of the barrier around the columns due to the new spacing of the posts, giving greater protection to the road users in the event of a vehicle striking the barrier.
Central Reserve Concrete Barrier – Benefits will include:
- Increased safety to road users, as the new concrete barrier aims to minimise cross-over accidents and will contain debris from accidents or spillages
- Reduced risk to the road workers as future maintenance requirements will be minimal
- Upgraded drainage system will provide better run-off of water from the carriageway
- The concrete barrier has a 50 year design life, providing savings in the cost associated with new barrier design and installation compared to the steel barrier
- New lighting columns have LED lights, reducing the maintenance requirements of the columns
How do I find out more information ?
If you have any queries about this project you should contact the Highways Agency Information Line by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or calling 0300 123 5000.