M1 Closure J21a - J22 Both Directions, Leicestershire. Tuesday 25 November 2014

The M1 was closed in both direc­tions between junc­tions J21A-J22 on 25 Novem­ber due to a seri­ous inci­dent involv­ing a HGV that crossed from the south­bound car­riage­way on to the north­bound carriageway.

At 18:43 on Tues­day Novem­ber 25 our East Mid­lands Regional Con­trol Cen­tre was noti­fied of a seri­ous inci­dent involv­ing a HGV between junc­tions J21A-J22. Reports sug­gested the HGV had crossed from the south­bound car­riage­way on to the north­bound car­riage­way and had col­lided with sev­eral vehi­cles. Our Traf­fic Offi­cers were imme­di­ately dis­patched to the scene and our Con­trol Cen­tre Offi­cers set signs and sig­nals to warn dri­vers of the inci­dent.  At 18:53 Leices­ter­shire Police con­firmed that due to the seri­ous­ness of the inci­dent, they needed the motor­way to be closed in both direc­tions J21A-J22. At 19:15 our Traf­fic Offi­cers had closed both car­riage­ways and a diver­sion via the A46 and A50 was imple­mented. Our National Traf­fic Con­trol Cen­tre set strate­gic signs across the region and fur­ther afield to warn dri­vers of the clo­sures. Our National Inci­dent Liai­son Offi­cers briefed the travel media with an overview of the inci­dent and pro­vided them with diver­sion details for their broad­casts. Our National Inci­dent Liai­son Offi­cers also used social media to push this impor­tant infor­ma­tion out to as many of you as possible.

Whilst Leices­ter­shire Police, Leices­ter­shire Fire and Res­cue Ser­vice and Leices­ter­shire Ambu­lance Ser­vice worked at the scene, our Traf­fic Offi­cers began to turn traf­fic that was trapped prior to the inci­dent. This is a very com­plex task to under­take so had to be done care­fully, with approx­i­mately fif­teen vehi­cles being turned at any one time. There were sev­eral hun­dred vehi­cles that had to be turned and it was not until 23:10 that all trapped traf­fic was clear. There was sig­nif­i­cant cen­tral bar­rier dam­age and a large diesel spill across all the lanes. Imme­di­ate bar­rier repairs and resur­fac­ing work had to be under­taken by our con­trac­tors as soon as the police inves­ti­ga­tion was com­plete. At around 03:40 the recov­ery, clean up and car­riage­way repair works began. At 04:30 the south­bound car­riage­way re-opened. Our con­trac­tors worked hard through­out the morn­ing to resur­face all 3 lanes and the hard shoul­der of the north­bound car­riage­way. A 300 metre stretch of road was dam­aged by the inci­dent which con­tributed sig­nif­i­cantly to the length of time the road was closed. At 13:15 the north­bound car­riage­way re-opened. Lane 3 remained closed in both direc­tions for  on-going cen­tral bar­rier repairs which were com­pleted by 14:10.

Delays caused by this inci­dent peaked at 90 min­utes above nor­mal jour­ney times.

Resurfacing CarriagewayCarriageway Resurfacing






Did you you find this bul­letin use­ful? We really wel­come your feed­back. Please click here to help us. Thank you.