M1 Closure J25-J26 Both Directions, Nottinghamshire. Wednesday 28 January 2015

The M1 in Not­ting­hamshire was closed in both direc­tions on the morn­ing of Wednes­day 28 Jan­u­ary between junc­tions J25-J26 due to a HGV fire.

At approx­i­mately 09:33 Not­ting­hamshire police told our East Mid­lands Regional Con­trol Cen­tre that they were get­ting reports of HGV fire on the M1 between junc­tions J25-J26. Our oper­a­tors began look­ing for the inci­dent on CCTV and quickly found the HGV on fire. They relayed the pre­cise loca­tion to our Traf­fic Offi­cers who had already been dis­patched and noti­fied the police and fire ser­vice too. Our oper­a­tors set signs and sig­nals to warn you of the fire and our National Traf­fic Oper­a­tions Cen­tre in Birm­ing­ham set warn­ing signs across the region and fur­ther afield warn­ing of the inci­dent. Our National Inci­dent Liai­son Offi­cers briefed the local and national media and updated our Twit­ter fol­low­ers via our regional Twit­ter feeds.

M1 HGV fire

Due to the extent of the fire we had to pre­vent traf­fic from dri­ving past the HGV. Our oper­a­tors at our East Mid­lands Regional Con­trol Cen­tre relayed what they could see from the CCTV images and requested our Traf­fic Offi­cers joined the M1 at J25 and imme­di­ately imple­ment rolling road block. They brought traf­fic to halt about 400 metres prior to the fire which cre­ated a ster­ile area for the fire ser­vice to work. Upon arrival Not­ting­hamshire Fire and Res­cue Ser­vice informed us that the vehi­cle was a tanker car­ry­ing ani­mal fats and for safety rea­sons the south­bound car­riage­way would also have to be closed. At 09:48 our Traf­fic Offi­cers had closed the south­bound car­riage­way between junc­tions J26-J25 and our col­leagues at Not­ting­hamshire police were pre­vent­ing vehi­cles join­ing the north­bound car­riage­way from Trow­ell Ser­vices. Another Traf­fic Offi­cer patrol imple­mented a sec­ond rolling road block on the north­bound car­riage­way from J24 and at 10:02 the north­bound car­riage­way was fully closed.

M1 HGV Fire 2 M1 HGV fire 3

Signed diver­sions were imple­mented in both direc­tions so that you could con­tinue your jour­neys. Our National Inci­dent Liai­son Offi­cers pushed this infor­ma­tion out to you via our Twit­ter chan­nels and via our web­site. They also ensured the travel media were broad­cast­ing this infor­ma­tion on their travel bul­letins. The fire ser­vice con­tin­ued to tackle the blaze and had to send a water bowser to the south­bound car­riage­way to assist with addi­tional water. Once the fire was under con­trol we made plans to release traf­fic trapped between J25 and the inci­dent by allow­ing it past the scene in lane 4. We would also open the south­bound car­riage­way once the water bowser had left the south­bound car­riage­way. At 10:58 we were able to re-open the south­bound car­riage­way how­ever due to the vol­ume of water and oil on the north­bound car­riage­way; we could not let vehi­cles travel on this until our con­trac­tors had car­ried out clean-up work to make the road sur­face safe to travel on. At 11:43 lanes 3 and 4 were cleaned and ready to take the trapped traf­fic. At 11:47 our Traf­fic Offi­cers imple­mented a rolling road block to ensure the traf­fic was taken past the scene and a safe and con­trolled speed.  Once the trapped traf­fic had been released we then made plans to re-open the main car­riage­way so that all traf­fic could travel past the scene in lanes 3 and 4.

M1 HGV fire 4

At around 12:38 our Traf­fic Offi­cers stopped the car­riage­way just prior to J25 which then allowed our con­trac­tors to remove the total clo­sure. Once again a rolling road block was imple­mented to bring traf­fic through J25 and past the scene safely. Now that the road had 2 lanes open, our national teams began to push this infor­ma­tion out to the media and via our Twit­ter chan­nels. The strate­gic signs set across the region and fur­ther afield warn­ing of the clo­sure were removed and utilised to rein­force the mes­sage that there were still long delays in the area. Our con­trac­tors con­tin­ued the clean-up oper­a­tion and by 14:00 all lanes were open and the inci­dent was clear.

Did you find this bul­letin use­ful?  We really wel­come your feed­back.  Please click here to help us. Thank you.