M1 Closure J20 - J18 Southbound, Leicestershire. Monday 02 March 2015

The M1 in Leices­ter­shire was closed on Mon­day between junc­tions J20 and J18 due to a mul­ti­ple vehi­cle acci­dent involv­ing four Heavy Goods Vehi­cles and a car. Two seri­ously injured casu­al­ties were involved as a con­se­quence of the col­li­sion. The acci­dent occurred within a roadwork’s enclosure.

Around 15:18 oper­a­tors at our East Mid­lands Regional Con­trol Cen­tre became aware of an acci­dent on the M1 involv­ing four Heavy Goods Vehi­cles and a car. High­ways Agency Traf­fic Offi­cers along with Leices­ter­shire Police and Leices­ter­shire Fire and Res­cue Ser­vice responded. Upon arrival of the emer­gency ser­vices it was dis­cov­ered that two occu­pants of the car were trapped and fol­low­ing an assess­ment of the inci­dent scene an Air Ambu­lance was requested to attend. The road was sub­se­quently closed south­bound and a robust sym­bol led diver­sion route was insti­gated with traf­fic directed to fol­low the solid square sym­bol which required traf­fic to exit at J20 and join the A4303 to the A5 south then con­tin­u­ing along the A428 at Crick to con­tinue to J18 of the M1. M6 traf­fic bound for the M1 was directed to exit at J2 on to M69 and exit at J1 to take the A5 south and join the above diver­sion route at A4303  Magna Park jct.

M1 sb J20 - J18 1

At circa 16:00 the north­bound car­riage­way was blocked with traf­fic halted to allow two Air Ambu­lances to attend the inci­dent. Work con­tin­ued at scene to resolve the acci­dent and Leices­ter­shire Fire and Res­cue directed their efforts to extri­cate the two trapped casu­al­ties. This was achieved around 16:48 when the two Air Ambu­lances departed and Leices­ter­shire Police began their col­li­sion investigations.

Our High­ways Agency Traf­fic Offi­cers worked with the Police to release the trapped traf­fic caught behind the acci­dent and in front of the clo­sure. This was achieved by releas­ing the traf­fic along the link road from the M6 south­bound to the M1 south­bound and trapped traf­fic from the M1 south­bound within J19 was run past the scene of the acci­dent. Delays by this time had risen sharply and were in the region of 60 min­utes on the M1 and 40 min­utes on the M6 south­bound between J3 and J2.

A pro­tracted Police inves­ti­ga­tion ensued and recov­ery oper­a­tions com­menced and delays remained con­stant on the M1 and M6, 60 min­utes and 40 min­utes respec­tively above the nor­mal travel time. The diver­sion routes were work­ing well how­ever and help­ing to keep the delays to a minimum.

M1 sb J20 - J18 3

At 19:20 Leices­ter­shire Police con­firmed con­clu­sion of their inves­ti­ga­tions and around this time the recov­ery of the vehi­cles involved was also near com­ple­tion. Our High­ways Agency con­trac­tors began oper­a­tions to clean up the car­riage­way to remove vehi­cle debris and spillages. We still were report­ing long delays on the M1 at this time, how­ever the delays on the M6 had cleared.

M1 sb J20 - J18 2

The clo­sures were removed and the road reopened (M1) south­bound at 20:50 fol­low­ing a deter­mi­na­tion by the Police that it was now safe to do so. Our sys­tems reported resid­ual delays of 30 min­utes above the nor­mal pro­filed jour­ney time. Through­out the inci­dent we endeav­ored to keep motorists updated and used our break­ing news web­site and Twit­ter feeds to dis­sem­i­nate infor­ma­tion as it developed.

Did you find this bul­letin use­ful?  We really wel­come your feed­back.  Please click here to help us. Thank you.