A14 Closure Both Directions, Cambridgeshire, Sunday 01 November 2015

The A14 in Cam­bridgeshire was closed in both direc­tions between J36 and J32 (west­bound) and J32 and J33 (east­bound) on Sun­day evening until the early after­noon on Mon­day due to an inci­dent involv­ing 2 HGV’s which resulted in a shed load. The car­riage­way remained closed for inves­ti­ga­tion, recov­ery and exten­sive clean-up work.

At 21:47pm on the evening of Sun­day the 01 Novem­ber 2015 our East­ern Regional Con­trol Cen­tre was alerted by Cam­bridgeshire Police to reports of a col­li­sion between 2 HGV’s on the A14 between J36 and J32. The west­bound car­riage­way was closed between J36 and J32 while the east­bound car­riage­way was closed between J32 and J33. Our High­ways Eng­land Traf­fic Offi­cers were dis­patched to the scene to assist Cam­bridgeshire Police and Cam­bridgeshire Fire and Res­cue ser­vice. Upon arrival they reported that 2 HGV’s had col­lided which resulted in one of them com­ing to rest on its side. Both loads on the HGV’s includ­ing portable toi­lets and sev­eral tons of bot­tled beer were par­tially spilt on to the car­riage­way. Fire and Res­cue ser­vice worked hard to free a casu­alty from one of the HGV’s.


 A signed diver­sion via the A11, A505 and M11 was put in place for traf­fic approach­ing the clo­sures. At 01:05am the east­bound car­riage­way was fully re-opened and a recov­ery and clear up oper­a­tion was arranged for the HGV’s and par­tially shed load on the west­bound car­riage­way which remained closed. At 03:34am one of the HGV’s was removed from the cen­tral reser­va­tion bar­rier. Once the HGV had been removed it was dis­cov­ered that there was sub­stan­tial dam­age and the remain­ing load on the trailer had shifted and become unsta­ble. This com­pli­cated the recov­ery oper­a­tion as the remain­ing load would also require removal. At 05:04am Cam­bridgeshire Police advised the sec­ond HGV’s trailer had become unsta­ble which was caus­ing the entire vehi­cle to tilt for­ward. This required a spe­cial­ist recov­ery team which was requested to the scene and due to the com­plex­ity of the recov­ery, removal and clean-up-work of the loads, it was estab­lished that the clo­sure would remain in place through the morn­ing rush hour and pos­si­bly in to early afternoon.

To warn motorists, Our National Traf­fic Oper­a­tions Cen­tre acti­vated the elec­tronic mes­sage sig­nage on the A11 and the A14 which are the main 2 roads on the High­ways Eng­land net­work that accessed the affected area. Our National Inci­dent Liai­son Offi­cers issued real-time updates to our Twit­ter Fol­low­ers, pub­lished up-to-date infor­ma­tion to our web­site and issued reports and answered ques­tions from the media. In addi­tion our 24/7 Cus­tomer Con­tact Cen­tre advis­ers were also avail­able and on-hand to pro­vide the very lat­est travel infor­ma­tion over the telephone.

A14 Map

 The com­plex recov­ery oper­a­tion con­tin­ued through the morn­ing and once com­pleted at 11:40am spe­cial­ist clean­ers com­pleted the final stages of the clear-up-work in prepa­ra­tion to fully open the car­riage­way. At 12:47pm all recov­ery and clear-up-works were com­plete and the road was re-opened. Travel media, Social Media Twit­ter feeds and our High­ways Eng­land Web­site were updated and pos­i­tive Vari­able Mes­sage Signs were set to inform motorists that the road had re-opened.

High­ways Eng­land would like to thank motorists for their patience dur­ing this lengthy incident.

Did you find this bul­letin use­ful? We really wel­come your feed­back. Please click here to help us. Thank you.