A1 Closure Both Directions, Nottinghamshire. Thursday 24 September 2015.

The A1 in Not­ting­hamshire was closed in both direc­tions  near Markham Moor on Thurs­day 24 Sep­tem­ber due to a HGV fire. The vehi­cle was laden with 30 tonnes of hay and straw bales that took Not­ting­hamshire Fire and Res­cue Ser­vice nearly 6 hours to fully extinguish. 

At approx­i­mately 11:00 our East Mid­lands Regional Con­trol Cen­tre were sent a log from Not­ting­hamshire police regard­ing reports of a sig­nif­i­cant vehi­cle fire on the A1 north­bound near Markham Moor. This sec­tion of the A1 is not rou­tinely patrolled by High­ways Eng­land Traf­fic Offi­cers how­ever due to the sig­nif­i­cant nature of the inci­dent our East Mid­lands Oper­a­tions Man­ager agreed to Not­ting­hamshire police’s request for mutual aid. Our East Mid­lands Regional Con­trol Cen­tre noti­fied our national teams in Birm­ing­ham of the inci­dent and they began to imple­ment their strate­gic response. Mes­sage signs across the region and fur­ther afield were set to inform those trav­el­ling to the area of the inci­dent. Our National Inci­dent Liai­son Offi­cers ensured the local and national media were aware so that travel bul­letins could be broad­cast with the most up to date and accu­rate infor­ma­tion. They also utilised all avail­able dig­i­tal chan­nels such as Twit­ter and our mobile app so as many of you as pos­si­ble were aware of the incident.

The spe­cific loca­tion of the fire was near Jockey Lane, just north of Elkelsey and the fire ser­vice and local police units had already blocked the north­bound car­riage­way prior to the scene . At 11:13 Not­ting­hamshire police made the deci­sion to close the north­bound car­riage­way at Markham Moor to utilise the strate­gic diver­sion. Due to the inten­sity of the fire and smoke blow­ing across the road, the south­bound car­riage­way also had to be closed. The fire ser­vice at scene reported explo­sions from the vehi­cle and requested an escort for a water bowser to attend the scene by head­ing south­bound on the north­bound car­riage­way. There was a sig­nif­i­cant amount of traf­fic trapped between the inci­dent and the clo­sure at Markham Moor and Not­ting­hamshire police worked hard to clear this. Due to the loca­tion this was an extremely dif­fi­cult and pro­tracted task which took until 15:29 to complete.

The road was closed in both direc­tions with a strate­gic diver­sion, suit­able for all vehi­cles, in place with local traf­fic able to nego­ti­ate the inci­dent using local routes. The fire ser­vice con­tin­ued to work through­out the after­noon to bring the blaze under con­trol and by this time 2 High­ways Eng­land Traf­fic Offi­cers  patrols were on both the north­bound and south­bound car­riage­ways, clear­ing bro­ken down vehi­cles that were caus­ing obstruc­tions. Our ser­vice provider sent spe­cial­ist equip­ment to the scene to help the fire ser­vice clear the hay and straw and our national teams kept the media up to date with progress reports. At 17:00 the fire had finally been extin­guished enough to allow 1 lane to re-open on the south­bound car­riage­way, with all lanes being open south­bound by 19:53.

The north­bound car­riage­way would have to remain closed for the rest of the day for recov­ery and overnight for emer­gency resur­fac­ing work to a 50 metre, 2 lane stretch of car­riage­way. Resur­fac­ing work com­menced on the north­bound car­riage­way at 21:45 and was com­pleted by 02:51. The road fully re-opened at 03:49.

High­ways Eng­land would like to thank motorists for their patience dur­ing this lengthy incident.

Did you find this bul­letin use­ful? We really wel­come your feed­back. Please click here to help us. Thank you.