M4 Closure Westbound, Greater London. Monday 23 May 2016

The M4 in Greater Lon­don had 3 lanes (of 4) closed between J4 – J4B on the morn­ing of Mon­day 23rd May due to a heavy goods vehi­cle (HGV) over­turn­ing and spilling diesel on the carriageway. 

At approx. 07:17hrs the Met­ro­pol­i­tan Police noti­fied our East Regional Con­trol Cen­tre that they were get­ting reports of a seri­ous col­li­sion on the M4 West­bound between J4 (the exit for Heathrow Air­port) and J4B (the exit for the M25).

A 7.5 tonne lorry had turned over and spilled a sig­nif­i­cant amount of diesel across the car­riage­way. An ambu­lance attended promptly (at scene by 07:27hrs) and thank­fully only a slight injury was reported. The M4 west­bound was ini­tially blocked and Lon­don Fire Ser­vice were asked to attend, with a view to pre­vent­ing fur­ther diesel being spilled onto the road surface.


M4 - J4-J4B - Overturned Lorry


Our Traf­fic Offi­cers were also in atten­dance and helped to re-open lane 4 (of 4 lanes) past the scene of this inci­dent, at approx­i­mately 07:41hrs.

It was quickly estab­lished that nearly 100 litres of diesel had been spilled onto the road sur­face. Our Man­ag­ing Agent Con­trac­tors arrived at scene within 1 hour of this inci­dent occurring.


At 09:51hrs, the recov­ery team at the scene of this inci­dent estab­lished that the HGV was too heavy to lift. It took approx­i­mately 30 min­utes to ‘decant’ the con­tents of this lorry to a safe area. The HGV’s load was food based, includ­ing drums of oil and frozen meat.


M4 Pib

The car­riage­way was assessed to see if resur­fac­ing was required and at 11:21hrs, the out­side 2 lanes (lane 3 and 4) had re-opened.

Our con­trac­tors advised us at 13:19 that it would not be nec­es­sary to resur­face the car­riage­way and at 13:28 all lanes were fully re-opened

There were severe delays through­out the inci­dent which were par­tic­u­larly high (above 70 min­utes) from 08:50 to approx 11am, unfor­tu­nately affect­ing traf­fic near Heathrow. Upon re-opening of the car­riage­way the delays had all but cleared and traf­fic was flow­ing well.