A30 Closure Westbound between the A377 and the A382, Devon. Friday 28th October 2016.

The A30 in Devon was closed west­bound between the A377 (Cheri­ton Bishop) and the A382 (Whid­don Down), due to a traf­fic col­li­sion involv­ing a car and heavy goods vehi­cle. The heavy goods vehi­cle which was trans­port­ing chilled food overturned.

At approx­i­mately 02:07 Devon & Corn­wall Police made our col­leagues at the High­ways Eng­land South West Regional Con­trol Cen­tre aware of a seri­ous traf­fic col­li­sion involv­ing a car and HGV. Ini­tial reports sug­gested that the HGV had pos­si­bly over­turned across the west­bound car­riage­way, with the dri­ver of the HGV reported trapped in his vehi­cle. Devon & Corn­wall Police, Fire & Ambu­lance Ser­vices were dis­patched to scene. Our National Traf­fic Oper­a­tions Cen­tre (NTOC) in Birm­ing­ham was also informed and Vari­able Mes­sage Signs (VMS) were imme­di­ately set on the M5 to warn road users of the clo­sure. High­ways Eng­land National Inci­dent Liai­son Offi­cers (NILO) utilised social media on our @HighwaysSWest Twit­ter feed, they also issued a report to the travel media inform­ing of the closure.

The dri­ver of the HGV was trapped inside his vehi­cle; passers-by were talk­ing to him and made him com­fort­able until the emer­gency ser­vices arrived to extract the dri­ver. Unfor­tu­nately, both the HGV dri­ver and a pas­sen­ger in the car sus­tained seri­ous injuries which would require imme­di­ate med­ical atten­tion. Air Ambu­lance was requested and deployed to scene. Devon & Corn­wall Police also con­firmed they would be con­duct­ing full col­li­sion inves­ti­ga­tion works. Dur­ing this time our con­trac­tors had arrived on scene to assist Police with their closures.

A diver­sion route was imple­mented which took road users off the A30 at Woodleigh Junc­tion and fol­low a local road which runs par­al­lel to the A30. Con­tin­u­ing along this road through Cheri­ton Bishop and Crock­ern­well re-joining the A30 at Whid­don Down.

Dur­ing the col­li­sion inves­ti­ga­tion, offi­cers from the ‘Seri­ous Col­li­sions Inves­ti­ga­tion Team’ exam­ined the scene. The car had bro­ken down and was par­tially in the inside lane, the HGV took eva­sive action to avoid the vehi­cle and over­turned. The col­li­sion inves­ti­ga­tion, vehi­cle recov­ery and clean-up that needed to be under­taken meant that the road would remain closed well into the morn­ing and pos­si­bly beyond. Once the col­li­sion inves­ti­ga­tion was com­plete, our con­trac­tors were able to inspect the road to ascer­tain if there was any dam­age. Upon inspec­tion it became clear that the road would poten­tially require resur­fac­ing, once HGV recov­ery was complete.

Circa 12:14 the com­plex recov­ery of the HGV had begun. Two recov­ery vehi­cles had started to right the vehi­cle. Traf­fic on the east­bound car­riage­way had tem­porar­ily been stopped to enable this oper­a­tion; delays at this time were reported to be 36 min­utes on the east­bound car­riage­way above nor­mal jour­ney time. Delays of 10 min­utes were detected on approach to the west­bound clo­sure. Upon the HGV being righted east­bound traf­fic was released.

Devon and Corn­wall Police and the recov­ery agents made the deci­sion to tow the HGV to the near­est ser­vices and unload the con­tents of the trailer. This enabled our con­trac­tors to attend to the road sur­face and removal of debris.

The clo­sure was lifted at 15:43, lane 2 remained closed for final clean-up work and the road was fully opened at 16:04.

If you were affected by this clo­sure High­ways Eng­land would like to thank you for your patience and under­stand­ing through­out this event.

Did you find this bul­letin use­ful? We really wel­come your feed­back. Please click here to help us. Thank you.